Moving beyond Buzzword Bingo
Learn how we create content that’s both compelling to read and technically accurate using the Open Strategy Partners Authentic Communication Framework.
We hear this sort of thing a lot: “Developers and marketers don’t speak the same language,” and “all marketing is BS,” or “the developers are out of touch with what our clients want.”
We call this the “Tech/Business Gap,” and it happens because developer teams and business teams don’t always understand each other. A lack of empathy can lead to poor communication, which can create a culture of mistrust, blame, and lack of respect. Teams or individuals within an organization can end up pulling in different directions—even when everyone believes they’re working towards a common goal.
We founded OSP to help technology organizations communicate the value of what you do and connect you with the people who need to know about it.
The OSP Difference: Authentic Communication
We communicate with others to connect. Meaningful connections develop when we’re authentic. On a practical level, meaningful connections can translate into growth, whatever “growth” means in your case: increased adoption of your technical solutions or services, stronger user communities, more contribution to your open source project, broader partner networks, or increased sales.
When it comes to technical products and services, it can be hard to produce content that’s both compelling to read and technically accurate. We use our Authentic Communication Framework—built on the practical application of empathy, clarity, and trust—to create strategically relevant communications that are technically accurate and compelling to consume.
- We apply empathy to put ourselves in our audience’s shoes and understand their needs by asking questions and using language that resonates with them.
- We are as clear as possible by producing technically accurate, logically rigorous, well-structured, and “easy to digest” content.
- We earn readers’ trust by avoiding jargon, being honest about what a given product can or cannot do, showing them we understand their needs, and being clear and logical. Trust also comes from amplifying and celebrating the voices and successes of our communities and peers.
How we can help you
Improve your communication
The OSP Writing and Editing Guide is a comprehensive look at our approach to writing, including our processes, philosophy, and writing rules. We’ve collected and distilled all the information in it in the course of producing, editing, and consuming writing over the years. We refer to it every day and add to it frequently.
We’ve also developed a quick start guide to get you up and running quickly, improving your writing straight away.
Create content and show you how
We facilitate practical workshops and content sprints and provide writer training. OSP can coach you and your teams, giving you the materials and tools to create authentic, authoritative content internally. We can also offer ongoing editorial and other support to keep you on track :-)
- The silence of the blank page is daunting. Learn to trust process over creativity.
- For teams and individuals who have trouble finding time to produce the content they need. In a content sprint, we bring a group of people together to get work done in focused, facilitated sessions.
- You’ll leave with ready-to-publish materials and a repeatable workflow.
- Writing and editing do not have to be black boxes. This workshop introduces you to the OSP writing toolset and teaches you how to consistently create authentic, compelling content. Learn how to improve your writing and help others with theirs.
- Teams who need to produce content that connects the value of what you do to your audience, new and experienced writers, and non-native English speakers will all learn something.
- You’ll leave with ready-to-use templates tailored for your business.
Bring your organization closer together
Putting ourselves in our colleagues’ shoes and practicing good communication builds trust and great teams and products, resulting in more vital and productive organizations.
Empathy Building via Serious Play: Play a cooperative board game highlighting the value of empathy and improving your communication skills.
We all have pressures, deadlines, needs, and priorities. Remembering to use empathy can be hard. It’s even harder when we’re in roles that have little to do with each other daily. Developer teams and marketing teams are classic examples of where poor communication and misunderstanding can lead to mistrust, blame, and mutual lack of respect. Despite everyone’s best intentions, this prevents individuals, teams, and organizations from realizing a vision and delivering value to customers and stakeholders … no matter how brilliant the strategy or technology might be.
Listen and learn
Our podcast, Communicate, Connect, Grow, can help you be a more effective writer and editor, develop clearer strategic thinking, and hear some of our smart friends and peers … being smart!
We have episodes in three broad categories:
- Communicate: All things communication. We share how we tackle writing, editing, word choices, formats, processes, and more.
- Connect: These episodes are in-depth conversations with interesting, smart people about who they are, what they do, and how they approach their life and work as communicators, technologists, and leaders.
- Grow: We cover strategic approaches to understanding and expressing the value of what you do, including tools, templates, and practical applications.
Subscribe now on YouTube, Apple Podcasts, or the podcast channel of your choice!
A Communication Playbook to Grow Your Agency DrupalCon Prague 2022
An actionable, straightforward model for selling better by building trust with your prospects before they ever meet you.More
Writing Appreciation: Unpack the SPAC
Explaining financial technology to a dual audience of uninformed and in-the-know readers is hard. In this Writing Appreciation Corner, we see it done well.More
What is product communication?
OSP helps companies craft product communications—micro-messages about your product, technology, and solutions.More